Having a handheld massager might not be something you think about every day of the week, but they are super useful tools. The best handheld massager is one that can relieve muscle pain, as well as back problems, all in on the handy device. But, what many people do not realize is that these massagers can help your skin, too.
With benefits like these, it is easy to see why a handheld massager is imperative to your health. However, with so many choices online and at local retail stores, this can be an overwhelming process, to say the least. With different price categories, comfort ratings, and designers, knowing where to begin can be a daunting task.
But, have no fear! Read the rest of the article below to give you buying guide help, frequently asked questions answered, and so much more. By the end, your understanding will help you make a great decision for you and your body’s needs.
Best Handheld Massagers: Editor’s Top Picks
Top 15 Best Handheld Massager Reviews:
1. PUREWAVE CM-07 Dual Motor Percussion Massager
The PUREWAVE massager is one that is recommended by medical professionals like sports trainers, physical therapists, and individuals involved in chiropractic practices. With a dual-motor, you will receive massage therapy like none other.
Made in the country of Korea, the product is registered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and patented for quality use.
This best electric massager can be used in a professional setting or the comfort of your own home. If you are not completely satisfied with the product, there are free returns. You will not have to make a decision right away either because you have 90-days to make up your mind.
When looking to speed up your recovery process, you can do it through this massager. It is not only safe but also effective enough to use without causing you stress and added pain. With a vibration and percussion set, you choose what your body needs most at that point and time.
The more you use it, the more you will see your circulation improve, as well as your pain management decrease.
- Great for a profound tissue massage
- Comes with multiple attachments to try
- Cordless and lightweight design
- Amazing battery life
- Ergonomic enough to reach any place you need to be massaged
2. Brookstone Cordless Active Sport Massager
Another best handheld massager for knots is this model by Brookstone. With a great percussion setting, you will be able to relive the tightest of muscles wherever you need it. There is a plethora of speed control, depending on what you like. Also, with 3 different nodes (ball, pinpoint, and wide-coverage), you will be able to use an attachment that will serve you best.
This great sports massager can adapt to your needs. Are you looking to achieve a new Personal Record (PR), but are unsure of how your body will feel after? Do not worry because the Brookstone massager will help ease the pain. Did you pull a muscle out of nowhere? This massager can get you feeling better in a hurry.
Other added benefits from this massager include improved circulation, better flexibility, and you will sleep better at night, too. With 60 minutes of continual use, your body will feel better than you ever thought possible. You can find Brookstone online and while flying in their magazine.
- Comes standard with a travel case
- The product weighs less than 2 pounds
- Includes one lithium-ion battery
- This product also works when it is plugged into an outlet
- Can be shipped anywhere in the world
- Easy-to-handle design
- Holds its charge even if the massager is not used for weeks
3. PADO PUREWAVE CM-05 Percussion Therapy Massager
PUREWAVE makes another professional handheld massager called the CM-05. This is a very quiet massager, but do not be fooled; it can still pack a punch. As a high-grade cordless massager, pains and aches in your muscles will completely go away. If you are on the go a lot, this might be an option for you to take on the road.
With different attachments, you can reach the core of your issue and get it resolved in no time at all. You can pick settings that feel like a Swedish massage, Acupressure, or a deep tissue massage.
Also, you will not have to worry about your massager running out of juice, because the ion battery will run 3-hours on one charge. This means you will probably not have to recharge it for a few weeks!
This massager is also a great gift, especially if you end up buying it for yourself. Others will instantly see its value to them. The design might be the first thing they notice. With a 6-headed stick, even the largest muscle aches will be no match for this product. Shoulders, knees, and feet will benefit greatly from this circulation-improving device.
- 3,700 RPMs makes this a best in class option
- Speed can be adjusted
- Can be returned for free on a 30-day trial
- Weighs 1.65 pounds
- Includes a 1-year warranty on any defects
4. Back Massager: 6 Interchangeable Nodes
If you are continually suffering from knots and back pain that will not go away, you have to check out this next product. A cordless hand massager, like this one, will help you reap the benefits that you deserve for your body’s sake. With the 6 different nods, you will truly be able to massage your entire body from head to toe.
Your arms, legs, next, and shoulders will feel relaxed again because of this device.
Because of this product’s cordless design, you can take this model in the car or to your office if need be. With 100 minutes of use on every charge, that will be plenty of time to make your feel great again. There are also 6 speeds to choose from with light to intense modes depending on what your body needs.
This product runs on 3,200 pulses every minute, which allows you better healing for your body. Also, the product will never overheat because of its automatic feature, which will shut down the device until it is safe to use again.
- 1-year warranty on this product
- The creator, Vivreal, has been in business for 20 years
- Used by hundreds of trained professionals
- 2 lithium-ion batteries make this product run
- Runs on 16 watts of power
- Great giftable option
5. Thumper Sport Handheld Massager
The Thumper Massager is one you should keep your eye on. As the best handheld massager, you can trust this patented model to do the trick. With percussive technology, energy is transmitted to the deepest part of your muscles. Relaxation will precede your treatment, and you will be back to health again.
With its easy-to-reach design, you will be able to massage any part of your body that needs assistance. Its customization ability is unprecedented when it comes to massagers. Also, another custom option is speed control. You can range the pulses from 20 to 40 pulses a second.
If you require the ultimate relaxation, this massager would be perfect for you. With every purchase, you will receive the massager and the carrying case to protect it from danger. This is perfect if you travel a lot and get sore muscles in the process.
Then, it is as simple as you plugging the massager in your hotel room to recharge. Do not spend more money than you have to on a handheld massager. This one should be on your list to try.
- Compatible with U.S. 120 volt outlets
- The power cord is 12 feet long
- Limited noise levels
- Recommended by chiropractors across the country
- Perfect for travel
- Weighs close to 5 pounds
6. HoMedics Percussion Action Massager with Heat
If you are still looking for a portable and lightweight massager, this one from HoMedics may do the trick for you. It is perfect to take on a car, plane, train, or even to work. Because it weighs less than 3 pounds, your suitcase will not get weighed down. Made with an ergonomic design, you will be able to handle the massager and grip it the way you want.
Different heads can attach, depending on what therapeutic tool you need. This handheld massager has a heating feature additionally that will make tired muscles feel like new. Your deep knots will be no contest as your knots are loosened and your pain will be relieved.
With the massage heads operating on 3,100 pulses a minute, you can switch between 4-speed settings from the gentlest of massages to the most vigorous. The easy-to-use button will send you on a journey of massage healing, as you use the Power and Heat switch. When you are done using it, you may think a professional has done your massage.
When you purchase this great device from HoMedics, you will receive a massager, two different modes, and a wall adapter. Additionally, know that you have a 30-day money-back guarantee, as well as a 2-year warranty if anything breaks.
- Powered by a 120-volt outlet
- Customizable massager
- Measures out at 17-inches
- Weighs almost 2.5 pounds
- Runs on 20 watts of power
7. Naipo Handheld Massager Double Head PercussionNo products found.
Best handheld back massagers fall in a category that does not have a lot of quality products. But, Naipo makes a great massager that can do wonders for your back and other parts of your body. Let’s start with the percussion pulses that top out at 3,400 revolutions per minute. This offers you a great massage experience for your home, office, and/or car.
Next, you will find that this product has 3 separate attachments. These custom pieces allow a massage that will melt away any tension you are experiencing. You will also be able to change between 2-speed settings. One speed will be low intensity, for muscle relief, and the other for high-intensity options, for major knots.
If you are looking for the ultimate in healing, 3 different nodes will shape differently to your body. With an added heating function, your body will thank you over the long term.
While you use the product, you will notice it is quiet, and it will not weigh you down. So, this is great so you can use your massager while watching T.V. or while you are working on the computer.
- Comes with a user manual
- The product weighs less than 2 pounds
- This power cord is 6 feet long
- Amazing value for the money you pay
- Perfect for restoring circulation
No products found.
8. RENPHO Rechargeable Handheld Deep Tissue Massager
This deep tissue massager, from RENPHO, is one of the best professional massagers that you can use in the comfort of your home. With sensation percussive tech, you will relax in no time at all. By using 3,600 pulses a minute, this rechargeable handheld packs a serious punch.
Another safety feature you will notice is the automatic shutoff after 20 minutes, so the device will not overheat.
When it comes to the utmost flexibility, this device takes the cake. You can take it around wherever life takes you, and you can add one of the 5 attachments with ease. This cordless option works for 140 minutes on one single charge. But, make sure you do not use the product while charging.
The RENPHO massager is registered with the FDA and it is registered with the Federal Communications Commission. So, feel at peace knowing that this product has gone through the necessary protocol to make this safe for selling.
- Come standard with a 1-year warranty
- Uses a long-lasting ion battery
- Made of ABS plastic
- Includes local customer support from the United States of America
- Simple control paneling with an on/off switch
- 3 adjustable power settings
- Perfect for massaging abductors and hip flexors
9. Daiwa Felicity Tapping Pro Deep-Tissue Electric Handheld Massager
The Daiwa Personal Massager is a phenomenal product with an ergonomic handle. A weighted head makes it easy for any user to try. Is your neck causing you problems? The Daiwa massager can help. Did you hurt your calf? This massager can pinpoint any trouble you may have. You can even massage your fingers if you need.
With the intense beating setting, you can sooth soreness in an instant, making this one of the best handheld electric massagers around. With a variety of head attachments, you can personalize the message the way you want it because the ultimate goal is keeping you well.
When charging this device, be at peace knowing that the cord has passed all safety standards, making it a valuable product to consider. With a rated voltage of 120 volts and a rated frequency of 50-60 Hz, you will not find a safer handheld massager on the market, when it comes to electrical criteria.
Lastly, the cord to charge your massager is over 5 feet long, so it is very adaptable to your lifestyle.
- Uses 25 watts of power
- The product will not overheat
- Weighs just over 2 pounds
- Infrared light is used in the healing process
- The lowest setting is a hammer stroke
- Very inexpensive option
- Powerful massager with a great pounding action
10. Back Massager Handheld with Heat
With 5 different node attachments, this percussion massager is one of the best on the market. If there is a specific problem you are dealing with, this best back massager handheld mimics a Shiatsu massage for your convenience. One of the attachments can even mix in oils and lotions to help with your relaxation.
Cords will not get in your way with this back massager. The rechargeable batteries can last up to 2 hours. Also, you can haul it around, if you have a knot while at work or as you travel. You will find some amazing intensity modes that can lightly massage up to a penetrating setting.
If you have been dealing with a lot of stress lately, this is the perfect piece of your healing puzzle. A heated massager will change the way your body will fill for the better. Your lactic acid levels will be lessened, refreshing you for the new day ahead.
As you use it, know that this product includes lifetime customer service in the United States of America. This service will solve any issues you are having in 12 hours or less guaranteed.
- Made with an anti-slip handle
- Weighs less than 3 pounds
- Comes with 2 lithium-based batteries
- 2-hour charge time
- Amazing range of motion
11. Hangsun Handheld Neck Back Massager MG460
- This best handheld massager runs at 3,500 pulses a minute
- Uses dual heads for added percussion
- A multitude of settings when it comes to speed control
- 3 different head attachments
- 98-inch power cord
- 1-year warranty with every purchase
- Weigh just over 3 pounds
12. Snailax Cordless Handheld Back Massager
- A battery can last up to 80 minutes at a time
- Percussion massager puts out magnificent vibrations from its motor
- Heat therapy can be used multiple times per day
- Includes 3 adjustable speeds with this professional handheld massager
- There are 4 different head attachments
- Weighs just under 3 pounds
- The charge takes 3 hours to reach full capacity
13. TYMO Cordless Percussion Massager
- Backed by countless chiropractors and physical therapists
- 5 different speed settings connected with this best massager for hands
- Full charges last up to 2 hours at a time
- Includes 3 separate head attachments
- The pulses per minute max out at 3,700
- Massager will shut off every 15 minutes to not overheat
- Comes with a 1-year warranty on any defects
14. Wahl Deep Tissue Percussion Therapeutic Handheld Massager
- Perfect for trouble with deep tissue areas
- There are 4 different attachments for this massager
- Helps improve blood circulation
- Comes with an 8-foot power cord for this best electric massager
- Runs at 3,350 revolutions a minute
- Works with 120-volts
- Weighs under 2 pounds
15. Loverbeby Electric Handheld Back Massager
- 5 different massage heads come standard with this purchase
- The battery can last up to 170 minutes at a time
- Includes 4 different intensity settings
- Comes with a 90-day guarantee or your money back
- Free 3-year warranty on any product defects
- Runs on 3,800 revolutions per minute
- Weighs less than 2.5 pounds for this best handheld electric massager
Things to Consider When Buying Handheld Massager
When it comes down to the nitty-gritty of what kind of cordless hand massager to buy, know that it is no simple process. Reading through reviews and trying out models can be a big benefit in knowing what you need vs. what you want. Some features might be very helpful to you, while someone else might not think it is as valuable.
Businesses know that every human is unique, so they can cater their product to different people. But, if you know the different features, then you can prioritize what is more important to you and your lifestyle.
1. Knowing Different Massage Techniques
It is important to know the different massage techniques a product can help with because some only focus on certain parts of the body. Some devices are great for the neck area, while others are more deliberate with the back. Still, other products are perfect for an all-body massage.
Some of the massage techniques are as follows: abdomen, shoulder, pectorals, neck, lower back, and legs to name a few. Each of these techniques has a different benefit. So, know what you want and then go for it. Depending on the type of technique, many devices can switch between kneading, percussion, and tapping, feeling similar to a professional massage.
Kneading is the process where this is of compressing the soft tissue against the bone. In a professional setting, the fingers, and palms of a masseuse do this, but the best handheld massager can mimic the process.
Tapping is another setting that involves a pounding action, which masseuses do with their fists. With a handheld massager, the movements are simulated to help initiate blood flow and improve the elasticity of muscles.
The last massage technique is percussion. This is a movement of the wrists very fast from a masseuse. But, with a handheld massager, you can have it relax muscles, just like the professionals do. Overall, many believe that percussion is the best practice when it comes to massagers that are handheld.
2. Heating Therapy
Heat Therapy is something else you may want to consider with the best handheld massager for knots. Using heat can help bring quicker relaxation and comfort while taking the pain away from troublesome spots. The top four things that heating therapy is best for include muscle knots, painful muscles, pain in the lower back, and soreness from exertion.
Muscle knots are the constant, annoying pain. This can mean trouble changing positions and it may turn into cramping. With heating therapy, these areas will begin to relax. Painful muscles will be relieved in the same fashion. Fixing this problem is something that a handheld massage can do, but getting more sleep is a good trick, too.
Pain in the lower back can be hard to get rid of, but a massager can help with relief as well. With the help of this technology, more blood will flow in these areas to bring about more assistance. Lastly, if you overexert yourself, warmth will lower lactic acid in the body, allowing you to move better the next day.
3. Speed Settings
Having adjustable settings are important to have with the best professional massager. Changing speeds allows you to customize your experience with the touch of a button. Your mood will change, and the rest will be history.
4. Different Attaching Heads
There is an endless amount of attachable heads in the 21st Century, but the main types that are the most common include kneading, roller, wide massage, scalp massage, and scraper. These options provide a very different massage experience.
The kneading head works best for a deep-tissue massage. Specifically, it narrows in on a certain place and brings relief fast. Roller heads are great as well because they are perfect for stimulating the circulation of the blood. If you want to use your massager every day, this is a great alternative for you.
Other best handheld massager attachments include the wide massage head. If you are looking for a soothing type of massage, you will be comfortable every time you use this option. The scalp massage is great for the head to relax you after a stressful day, while the scraper removes skin cells that are dying. This is great for your arms, hands, legs, feet, neck, and head.
5. Picking a Travel Massager
Portability should be key when you buy a massager. The best kinds of devices are cordless products that can be charged wherever you go. Also, the length of the power cable has a say in how portable it is as well. The longer the cord, the more portable it is. The lengths range from 3 feet up to 14 feet.
Types of Handheld Massagers
There are 3 prominent designs when it comes to the best back massager handheld in today’s day and age. The three include elongated, wide, and short massages. Take your pick!
An elongated massager is ideal for getting the hard-to-reach spots on your back, while the wide massager can cover more ground than all the other varieties. For the short massage, it is easy to hold and can cover most areas of your back. You really cannot go wrong with any of these selections.
Benefits of a Handheld Massager
There are countless benefits to owning your personal massager, but we will try to go into the top ones for you to realize. First, the best handheld back massager brings about relaxation every time you use it. Your stress levels should go down and your mind should be able to be at peace.
Muscle pain should also be reduced. By circulating the blood in troubled areas, your body should start to reap the benefits in no time at all. Lower back pain is eradicated with a great massager. Your spine will get the extra oxygen it needs, along with nutrients to spread healing across your back.
Did you know you would sleep better with a good massage? Even if you only spend 10 to 20 minutes on a massage, you will notice a difference when you get up in the morning. Soreness can also be treated after your workout with a personal massager. If you put in some extra training sessions during the week, be sure to use a massager, so you will start the next day ready to roll instead of sore.
Massaging around joints will help your skin and body look and feel better. With the local circulation of the blood, even as you age, you will feel great. Now that you know the benefits, it is important to understand how to use a massager in the best way possible.
How to Use a Handheld Massager Properly
When using a handheld massager, you must understand how it works, so you are safe during each therapy session. First, if you have a history of concussions, do not use a percussion-based massager on your head or neck. This might seem like a no-brainer, but this can re-open past issues that you have had with concussions.
Also, never use a percussion setting on the skull itself. You may experience symptoms and signs of a concussion if you use the massager inappropriately. Even in the lowest of settings, you still have a high risk of injury. Another safety concern involves the heating feature of the best handheld massager.
Using more than one heat session at a time can start to cause issues. For example, there are many case studies out there with people who used heating therapy for too long with a handheld massager.
People will start to itch areas where they have used heat. This is a response to the individual dealing with a small burn. If the heating continues to take place, the burn will get even worse.
The last safety issue that individuals should be aware of is the speed settings. The top speed of any massager can be quite intense. To be safe, work your way up to the highest speed over a 2 to 3 week period of time. This way, you will be used to the setting, instead of shocking your body into it from the very beginning.
A Brief History of Massage Therapy
The technique of massage therapy goes way back in the history of the world. Over thousands of years, massage therapy has morphed into the best massagers for hands in the 21st Century. But, the medical benefits specifically got their roots in the country of Egypt and China respectively.
In 2,700 B.C., the Chinese created a text called “The Yellow Emperor’s Classic Book of Internal Medicine.” In this text, massage therapy has been a staple ever since. It was translated into English in the last 1940s, and today education is still being taught using principles like acupressure, herbology, and acupuncture.
Just 200 years late, the Egyptians began to paint their techniques of massage therapy in the tombs of the dead. The Egyptians are credited for practicing reflexology, and other cultures like the Romans and Greeks followed suit.
Between 1,500 and 500 B.C., India jumped on the bandwagon of massage therapy. Many believe that their practices started in 3,000 B.C., but regardless of times, Hindus of the time dabbled in Ayurvedic medicine.
In English, the word “Ayurvedic” means “life health” and another translation means “life science.” This holistic treatment was a mix of aromatherapy, relaxation, and meditation.
It was not until the 1800s that massage therapy made its way out west. A Swedish doctor, by the name of Per Henril Ling, started practicing what he called the “Swedish Massage.” But, the Dutchman doctor, John Georg Mezger, really solidified the movements to make the hand strokes organized for others to follow.
In today’s massaging world, the Swedish massage, and the Japanese practice of Shiatsu are the most popular.
Over the last 50 years, the practice of massage therapy has been pushed forward in a mighty way. With the public wanting massages more than ever, the industry is on an upward rise. It will be amazing to see what the next 50 years have in store.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About handheld massager
Q-1: Are lotions and oils used with a handheld massager?
- This can only be answered on a case-by-case basis. Some handheld massagers react negatively with plastics and can cause the device to deteriorate. But, others specifically are made for a handheld massager to use oils and lotions to bring about ultimate relaxation.
- The rule of thumb should be to check the user manual. This will give you the most up-to-date decision to make an educated decision. Then, you can use the device appropriately, or purchase one that allows you to use oils and lotions along the way.
Q-2: Will I be pinched when using a personal massager?
- Most massagers have been designed as to not cause any pinching. But, to be sure, check user reviews that have personal experience with the product. Handheld massagers should not dig into the body, nor should they press down or stroke at a very high rate.
- If you come across reviews that are negative in this department, you should steer clear from that product. Ultimately, there are plenty of other options for you to sort through.
Q-3: How much should I spend on a massager?
- This question purely revolves around your budget. But, do not think you should spend as little money as possible or a ton of money to get the best handheld massager. There are a variety of handheld massagers that can be a great benefit to you that will cost anywhere from $75 to $200.
- Organize what you want in a handheld massager and find a product that matches your needs. This way, you will find and use a massager each week that fits your protocol.
Q-4: Are there other physical benefits besides relieving pain that I should be aware of?
- Studies have shown that there are benefits like cardiovascular help, which lowers the heart rate and blood pressure of an individual. Also, digestion and salivation are improved when a massage is initiated.
- Additionally, you will experience the release of endorphins. This means your body’s natural painkillers will be initiated, without you using harmful medications that can impact the body negatively. Lastly, your body will start to heal itself with the help of a massage. Some benefits continue to present themselves positively with the help of a great massage.
Now, we have come to the end of our article. But, the time for you to brainstorm a handheld massage has just begun. Remember, to find the best massager for you, you must do your homework beforehand. Then, you can go into local stores or search online with confidence.
When you do find the best massager for you, all you will need to do is enjoy the process and see the benefits unfold. That is what a great massager will do for you. Good luck searching for the best massager! The massager is out there ready for you to find it! So, step out into the world of handheld massagers. Do not be overwhelmed, but live in the freedom this article has given you.