There are four seasons in a year with each having its own unique properties. Summer is when there’s excess heat, autumn is usually harvest time, winter is when it’s extremely cold and spring is the perfect time to start readying the gardens.
While there are a whole lot of things most people smile about during spring, one huge setback is getting rid of dry leaves that have completely ruined the beauty of your front yard. Thankfully, with the best lawn sweeper, this problem can easily be handled without you having to break your back.
But, why does the lawn sweeper fit the bill? Well, first and foremost, who can bear the annoying backaches that come as a result of bending for hours sweeping your lawn to remove dry leaves, twigs, grass, and clippings?
Secondly, can you stand the hefty garden maintenance bill that comes after hiring a cleaner? Since most homeowners are not ready to incur such hefty costs, the lawn sweeper is hence the only incredible garden tool that can work to keep your lawn clean, safe, and attractive.
- 15 Best Hardwood Floor Cleaning Machines – Reviewed by Real Users
- 13 Best Commercial Leaf Vacuums – Reviews & Buying Guide
- The 15 Best Vacuum Under $300 – Reviewed by Expert Users
- 15 Best Vacuum for Cleaning Business – Reviewed by Expert Users
Best Lawn Sweepers: Editor’s Top Picks
Factors to Consider When Buying a Lawn Sweeper
Now that we’ve discussed 13 of the best lawn sweepers that will perform a decent job of cleaning your lawn, our next step is to unpack some of the most critical factors that will demand your attention when picking the right lawn sweeper. So, if you’re ready, I will walk you through each factor in a more detailed manner.
The very first factor you need to consider when picking a lawn sweeper is your main intentions. Although these garden tools are designed to purposely sweep debris from your lawn, yard, or driveway, they can be customized to perform a lot more tasks such as mulching or trimming your grass.
So, if you’re looking for something that’s more than just a tow behind the type of lawn sweeper, then you can consider models such as the WORX WG779 14” Lawn Mower, BLACK+DECKER CM2043C, and Sun Joe AJ801E.
Other than the intended purpose, another factor that demands tremendous attention is the type of lawn sweeper you’re willing to get. In general, there are only two types of sweepers which are the tow behind and the push lawn sweepers.
Tow-behind lawn sweepers are designed to be pulled by a lawnmower or a garden tractor. They usually have wider widths and large hoppers that make them effective in cleaning large areas. The only drawback is their large sizes which are not ideal for small yards.
Also, they’re quite difficult to maneuver around obstacles (such as trees) giving you a double work of having to sweep such profile areas using a rake.
The push lawn sweeper on the hand is designed to be pushed manually. These garden tools are small in size but are the perfect solution for cleaning small yards and round obstacles. This category can further be slip into manual and motorized lawn sweepers since some of the push lawn sweepers rely on electricity and batteries to operate.
3. Sweeping Path:
Now, before we can discuss the size of the hopper, let’s first mention something regarding the width as it too bears a great prominence. You see, the sweeping path of your lawn sweeper plays a huge role in the buying process.
For instance, if your lawn is small to medium-sized, a lawn sweeper with a sweeping width of 16” to 26” will be perfect. On the other hand, if your lawn is extra-large, then picking a garden sweeper that’s at least 42” to 46” will be great.
At least with such a size, you will manage to collect more debris with each pass without having to spend a lot of time doing the same thing. The only issue with the best tow behind lawn sweeper with huge sweeping widths is that it’s hard to control especially around obstacles.
4. Hopper Capacity:
So, once you’ve figured out the width of the lawn sweeper, the next factor you’ll need to consider is the hopper capacity. In most cases, the size of the hopper is usually directly proportional to the size of the lawn sweeper.
However, if you’re looking for a large lawn sweeper that will sweep large lawns, choosing one with a larger hopper will be the perfect choice to maximize its efficiency by having to empty it less often. Also, you need to be very keen on the quality of the construction. Since the hopper will be carrying huge amounts of debris, you need to ensure that it’s well-built to avoid getting damaged.
When we speak of the material, what we’ll be looking at is the framework, the tires, and the hopper. Starting with the framework, most lawn sweepers are made of heavy-duty steel which aids in durability. Although steel is heavy, it’s usually the best especially for tow behind lawn sweepers as compared to plastic or aluminum.
About the tires, pneumatic tires are usually the best as they’re not only durable but are also versatile enough to handle different terrains. The material of the hopper bag is the last factor you’ll need to consider in this category.
In most cases, a metal mesh material is considered the best unless you’re looking for something lighter where a polyester fabric or polyvinyl material can be the best to consider.
6. The Brushes:
The quality of the brushes is another key consideration that will affect the performance of your machine. If durability is your major priority, then you need to inspect the material used to construct the brushes and ensure that it’s one that can last for a long. In most cases, nylon-made brushes are considered the best over plastic brushes.
Other than the material, another obvious metric that will have a huge impact on your lawn sweeper’s performance is the brush-to-wheel ratio. I believe you’ve seen this phrase in our review section above. This is basically a calculation of the number of rotations the brush can make in relation to each turn the wheel makes.
So, in most cases, a ratio of anything higher than 4:1 is considered the best as it will allow the brush to pick as much debris as possible in each rotation.
7. Extra Features:
Last but not least, you need to check whether your favorite lawn sweeper has any additional features that can make your work much easier while at the farm. So, to summarize everything up, we’ll just highlight a few features that might be of great help to you.
- Adjustable Height: One of these add-ions is the height adjustability option. You see, working with a lawn sweeper with a hitch that can easily be raised or lowered is extremely vital as it will help to boost the performance of the machine.
- Reclining Hopper: Back to the hopper, you need to ensure that the hopper is capable of reclining far backward to make it easier for you to empty without having to get off the tractor. It should also be easily collapsible to make storage a breeze.
Top 13 Best Lawn Sweepers Reviews:
1. Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch
At the top of the list, we have the Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper. As a US-made garden tool, the Agri-Fab has impressed most lawn owners with its exceptional performance across all four seasons. If you’re still struggling with back-breaking work just to clean up debris from your lawn, then this garden tool has come to your aid.
One of the most impressive things about this lawn sweeper is its compact size. Standing at 78” L x 55” W x 52” H and 54.1” L x 18” W x 19.5” H when folded, there’s no doubt that this machine will fit in your garage store after every use. Its 25 Cu. Ft. hopper has been the talk as it’s huge enough to hold tremendous amounts of the debris before it begs to be emptied.
With the 44” semi-pneumatic tires and a weight of just 95 lbs, pulling the Agri-Fab has never been this fun. At the bottom of this lawn sweeper, four brushes effectively sweep debris and feed it into the hopper. It has a perfectly calculated brush to wheel ratio of 5.6:1 that’s perfect enough to enhance efficiency.
- Offers a 3-years limited warranty.
- The brush height is easily adjustable.
- It has a large collapsible garbage bag.
- Can easily be folded to save space.
- You can easily damp litter while still on the tractor.
- Difficult to empty heavy litter.
- Assembly is quite tricky.
2. Brinly STS-427LXH 20 Cubic Feet Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper
Coming second on this list is the Brinly STS-427LXH Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper. What’s amazing about this lawn sweeper is the technology and physics that Brinly has invested here. This, alongside several other improvements, has allowed this garden tool to perform exceptionally well in almost any terrain.
One factor that has made it a top performer is the 6 individual brushes that have been mounted at the bottom. With a sweeping area of 42”, this garden equipment can sweep leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, and other debris over a wide area allowing it to complete the cleaning task within the shortest time possible.
Besides that, it boasts a large 20 Cu. Ft. hamper that accommodates huge amounts of debris. The 5:1 brush to ground ratio offers enough brush to ground contact for maximum efficiency when cleaning.
Although the Brinly STS-427LXH is quite heavy at 80 pounds, Brinly has included a brilliant easy height adjustment option and a patented easy collapsible design that will allow you to store it in an upright position.
- Fitted with 6 high-velocity brushes.
- Easy to empty.
- An excellent brush-to-ground contact.
- Easy height adjustment option.
- Offers a 2-year manufacturer warranty.
- It has poor assembly instructions.
- The wheel suspension design is quite poor.
3. Agri-Fab 45-0218 26-Inch Push Lawn Sweeper
The Agri-Fab 45-0218 Push Lawn Sweeper is a smaller version in Agri-Fab’s line of lawn sweepers. The reason why Agri-Fab opted to invest in such a small lawn sweeper was to allow it to penetrate in those homes that have smaller lawns. So, if your home sits on a tiny piece of land, you won’t have to pick those large lawn sweepers that will end up causing spacing chaos.
Now, despite its small size, the Agri-Fab 45-0218 doesn’t stand to be intimidated. That’s because this power tool is super-efficient in cleaning your lawn just like a professional.
One of the areas this tool boasts of is the robust steel frame construction that stands a lot of abuse without giving up. Another factor is the brilliant 4.5:1 brush to wheel ratio alongside an excellent height adjustment setting for the brush.
Although the holding bin is just 7 cu. Ft. the combination of plastic wheels with a lightweight of just 25 pounds ensures that users can push this lawn sweeper to and fro as well as dispose of all leave and lawn clippings in the easiest way possible. Finally, when it comes to storage, the Agri-Fab 45-0218 is easy to collapse and store in the tiniest of spaces.
- Its lightweight and easily collapsible design make storage a breeze.
- Assembly is super-fast thanks to the video instruction guide.
- Adjustable height settings make the operation quite easy.
- Suitable for residential homes with small lawns.
- Steel frame construction guarantees longevity.
- The brushes only work when this sweeper is pulled but not pushed.
4. Earthwise LSW70021 21-Inch Leaf & Grass Push Lawn Sweeper
The Earthwise LWS70021 Push Lawn Sweeper is a simple budget-friendly solution for property owners living in tiny spaces. Other than its small size, something else that grabs the attention of most potential buyers is the cool combination of colors that gives this motorized sweeper a cool premium identity.
About the size, this sweeper has a sweeping width of just 21” which is perfect for handling light sweeping tasks without you having to break a sweat.
Performance-wise, the Earthwise LWS70021 doesn’t disappoint its owners at all. First, it has a thick brush that uses the spinning rake-like action to collect leaves, grass, and clippings. The waste is then collected by a tiny 2.6 collection bag for easy disposal once it’s filled up.
About the construction, the Earthwise LWS70021 is made using high-strength yet light materials to endure heavy knocks and last longer. The height adjustment option, plastic tires, and easy folding option during storage are just some of the features that make this lawn sweeper the best for tiny spaces.
- Its small size is perfect for tiny lawns.
- It has a cool Black and Green color combination.
- It can be folded easily for easy storage.
- The framework is made of steel.
- Easy to adjust the height of the brush.
- The brush doesn’t pick up rocks, pine cones, and wet debris.
5. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools LSW70026S 26-Inch Push Lawn Sweeper
Another highly sort after lawn sweeper that has earned a spot in this list is the Scotts Outdoor Power Tool LSW70026S. What’s interesting about this garden equipment is how Scotts has managed to effectively design it to suit every customer’s budget without sacrificing its performance.
What this means is that you’ll get a functional machine that will handle all light cleaning duties without ever disappointing you.
This masterpiece has a sweeping width of 26” which is decent enough to handle most medium-sized lawns. The bottom brushes use the spinning rake-like action to clean your lawn which has an impressive 80% pick-up rate.
This sweeper is fitted with plastic tires that allow it to maneuver on lawns, patios, driveways, and sidewalks without damaging any component.
About the construction, the frame of this garden equipment is made from high-strength steel with a scratch-resistant coating to prevent damage. It has a 3.6-bushel collection bag for collecting debris and a height adjustment option that lets you customize the height when working.
Designed to offer a balance between performance and affordability, the Scotts Outdoor Power Tool LSW70026S is an excellent lawn sweeper for customers across all diversities.
- Perfect for medium-sized lawns.
- It can maneuver on lawns, sidewalks, driveways, and yards.
- Made from durable steel material.
- It has an easy height adjustment option.
- Rotating brushes have a decent 80% pick-up rate.
- Assembly is quite complex.
- Brush bristles are made of plastic instead of nylon.
6. Craftsman CMXGZBF7124266 42 22-cu ft Tow Hi-Speed Lawn Sweeper
The Craftsman CMXGZBF7124266 Hi-Speed Lawn Sweeper is among the best lawn sweepers that will strive to keep your lawn looking immaculate all year long. Regardless of whether it’s during spring, summer, fall, or winter, this garden tool will sweep your lawn, yard, or walkways to keep them free from leaves, dry grass, and pine needles among other clippings.
With a huge sweeping path of 42”, this lawn sweeper can do an exceptional job of removing a huge amount of litter that gets in its way. It has a large 22 cu. Ft. hopper that’s capable of handling huge amounts of litter without demanding regular emptying.
The 11.5” X 2” plastic tires are also excellent as they can maneuver on any terrain whether rough or uneven. The 8.5: 1 brush to wheel ratio is another area Craftsman CMXGZBF7124266 has truly excelled in as it gives the brush a much better sweeping action to accomplish its task with more efficiency.
Lastly, Craftsman has added a brilliant height adjustment option for the brush to give it enough ground clearance to accomplish its job.
- The universal hitch allows this lawn sweeper to be pulled by any tractor.
- Proudly made in the USA.
- Easy emptying while still in the tractor.
- Easy height adjustment option.
- Heavy-duty steel construction.
- The body is easily dented.
- Assembly is quite complex.
7. Ohio Steel 42SWP22 Sweeper Spiral Brush
Now, one factor that truly makes the Ohio Steel 42SWP22 Sweeper something that’s out of the ordinary is how it has jumped out of the traditional design and look to offer customers something more unique and extraordinary.
You see, most lawn sweepers look similar. However, certain dynamics such as the looks, style, and quality are what keep them apart from each other.
On top of its cool design, the Ohio Steel 42SWP22 Sweeper has not failed to deliver. This is clearly highlighted by its huge 42” width that allows it to sweep a huge area in one go. This has been coupled with an enormous 22 cu. Ft. hopper that swallows huge amounts of garden lawn debris without demanding to be emptied.
To add icing to the cake, Ohio Steel has added super-powerful spiral brushes at the bottom that are at least 11” long. With such strength, these brushes are capable of working fast. Not only that, but they’re also very efficient in removing all types of litter from your lawn to keep it neat and well maintained.
- Long brushes offer excellent cleaning action.
- Easily collapsible for easy storage.
- Pneumatic tires handle all types of terrains.
- Easy emptying of the hopper.
- Has a wide-sweeping width.
- The tension rods are quite hard to assemble.
8. Sun Joe AJ801E 13 in. 12 Amp Electric Scarifier + Lawn
The Sun Joe AJ801E is a lawn sweeper that comes with a dedicated electric scarifier and a lawn dethatcher all in one package. The reason why this best push lawn sweeper has bulldozed its way in our list is due to the brilliant dynamics that make it quite unique from the rest of the products we’ve already discussed here.
One selling feature is the 13” width that has impressed most homeowners. Combined with the 12 amp motor, you’ll definitely love how efficient this lawn sweeper will clean your lawn, yard, or walkways to keep them free from any garden debris.
The addition of a scarifier is another brilliant step made by Sun Joe as it allows this unit to trim your grass then use the brush to damp the litter inside the detached collection bag.
What allows the Sun Joe AJ801E to perform so impressively is the addition of the air boost technology. This gives the spring steel tines at the bottom enormous power to collect litter without hurting the grass. It also has an instant start option to prevent accidents and an impressive 2-year limited warranty making it among the best lawn sweepers on this list.
- It has a 5 position height adjustment option.
- Backed with a 2-year limited warranty.
- The use of electricity makes it an eco-friendly option.
- Perfect for medium-sized lawns.
- It can also trim grass besides collecting litter.
- Too small for large lawns.
- Quite cumbersome to deal with electric cords.
9. BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower
As you all know, Black & Decker is among the leading brands that specialize in the manufacture of power tools across all sectors. In the garden lawn sector, this brand has impressed its loyal diehards by releasing one of the best cordless mowers—the BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower.
Unlike the rest of the lawn sweepers we’ve discussed, this one is more of a mower since it works by being pushed rather than being pulled by a tractor.
While our previous Sun Joe AJ801E was a corded electric model, the BLACK+DECKER CM2043C is a cordless model that relies on a 40V Li-Ion battery to operate its motor. At least this is a brilliant step from such a reputable brand as you won’t have to deal with annoying cables when working.
When it comes to performance, the BLACK+DECKER CM2043C has a decent cutting path of 20 inches. Perfect for mulching, bagging, and side discharging of grass and overgrown weeds, this lawn mower is not only versatile but also the best for tending your yard or garden lawn.
It has 6 height adjustment options and a large 15-gallon nylon bag for collecting leaves, pine needles, and other litter.
- Relies on a very powerful 40V Li-Ion battery.
- It can also trim grass while still sweeping debris.
- It has an efficient motor.
- 6 cutting height adjustment options.
- Uses a large 15-gallon nylon bag.
- Too many mechanical parts make it prone to damage.
- Battery life is quite low.
The WORX WG779 14” Lawn Mower is very similar to our previous BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower in terms of performance. Unlike most of the lawn sweepers we’ve discussed, this one doesn’t have to be pulled by a tractor but it’s rather designed to be pushed just like a mower.
In fact, it’s a versatile 2-1 garden tool that works as a mower and as an electronic sweeper.
Now, most power tools rely on gas to work. With the WORX WG779 14” Lawn Mower, this is a little bit different as this machine is powered by two 20V Li-Ion batteries that offer a combined power output of 40V.
With such enormous torque, accomplishing your daily munching and bagging tasks is made much easier as you won’t have to stop at any gas station just to get gasoline.
When it comes to collecting litter, this lawnmower takes advantage of its moderately sized plastic collection bag that has a capacity of .85 bushels. There’s a dedicated dual-port charger for effective charging of the batteries and a 6-position cutting height that raises this lawnmower from a height of 2.5”- 3.5”.
- It has a high torque that boosts its cutting power.
- It has 6-position height adjustment options.
- The charger indicator notifies you about the status of each battery.
- It has 2 batteries with a combined voltage of 40V.
- Has a 14” cutting width.
- Not the best for large lawns.
- It tends to clog more often.
11. John Deere 42 in. 24 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper
No products found.
Among the best lawn sweepers that have made it late in our list is the John Deere 42” Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper. One reason that has made this sweeper to penetrate so well in the garden lawn business is due to John Deere’s long-standing reputation of manufacturing some of the best agricultural machinery. Since this unit is no exception, perhaps it explains the reason why it has done so well.
Now, among the reasons why this lawn sweeper desires a second eye is its large 42” width. Coupled with a large 24 cu. Ft. hopper, this unit is wide enough to pick huge amounts of litter from your yard. It’s impressive 11” high tip velocity brushes are just superb in collecting litter ranging from leaves, grass clippings, pine needles, pine cones to burr balls among others.
About maneuverability, the John Deere 42” Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper is fitted with pneumatic tires that allow it to move on any terrain. It has assembly dimensions of 50” W x 53” D x 28” H which is easily collapsible for easy storage. So, in case you’re not ready to get a cordless lawn sweeper, then this beast can be a brilliant choice.
- Large enough to handle huge sweeping tasks.
- High-velocity brushes can pick all stubborn debris.
- Can be collapsed for easy storage.
- Large hamper
- The construction is durable and sturdy.
- Plastic wheel bearings are not long-lasting.
No products found.
12. Yard Commander 42″ Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper
Another lawn sweeper that has made it late in our list of the best lawn sweeper is the Yard Commander 42” Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper. Now, by looking at it, this lawn sweeper appears ordinary with nothing fancy. What you don’t know actually is that its simple design is what has lured most customers to pick it over its complex rivals.
You see, with a clever industrial design, the Yard Commander is capable of cleaning your lawn, yard, driveway, or walkway leaving it looking stellar. This is enhanced by its 42” width that lets it sweep a huge area with a lot of enthusiasm. Besides, this sweeper has four 10” brushes that have been key to its impressive performance.
The 12 cu. Ft. nylon hopper cannot be left out either as it’s the one responsible for packing all the litter before it’s disposed of. About its storage, the Yard Commander can easily be collapsed to make it smaller for easy storage.
It’s fitted with 10 ½” by 2 ¾” rubber tires that are easily maneuverable on any terrain. Since it’s designed to be as versatile as possible, it can easily be connected to any ATV, UTV, or garden tractor with less effort.
- Perfect for large lawns.
- Rubber tires provide easy maneuverability.
- Multiple hitches make attachment easier.
- Has 9 position adjustment options.
- Simple design.
- Its large size makes assembly quite complicated.
13. Lawn Tractor Leaf Bag
TerraKing is a USA brand that specializes in manufacturing some of the best leaf collection bags in the market. One of their latest innovations is the TerraKing Lawn Tractor Leaf Bag. Now, one of the major complaints most lawn sweeper buyers make is a lack of enough space in the hopper.
With that in mind, TerraKing has offered its loyal diehards a larger, smarter, yet cost-efficient option that’s nearly 6 times the size of an overage lawn sweeper bag.
At 54 cu. Ft., this leaf bag has truly impressed me. What’s even great about it is how TerraKing has designed it to be so versatile to a point that it fits in almost all ride-on lawn tractors. With the help of the dual drawstring clips, connecting and detaching this leaf bag has never been so easy.
About the construction, this bag is made from durable polyester fabric that’s tough enough to endure regular wear and tear considering that it’s pulled behind the tractor. To keep it in good shape though, you need to ensure that it doesn’t get to contact your tractor’s exhaust system.
With an experience that spans out to ten years, TerraKing has produced one of the best leaf collection bags that have really impressed most buyers.
- Installation is lightning fast.
- Nearly 6 times larger than an average lawn sweeper hopper.
- Compatible with most tractor models.
- Made from durable polyester fabric.
- Proudly made in the USA.
- It can easily tear in case it gets stuck on something.
Types of Lawn Sweepers
Now that we’ve mentioned some of the factors you’ll need to consider when picking a lawn sweeper, our next step will now be focused on the different types of lawn sweepers that are available in the market. So, without any further ado, let’s discuss each one of them.
- 1. Gas-Powered Sweepers
Most of the gas-powered lawn sweepers are considered commercial grade due to the immense power they’ve got. They’re usually hooked on tractors and ATVs and have wide decks that range from 6 to 12 feet wide.
These types of sweepers are designed to handle huge cleaning assignments such as sweeping soccer fields, public/private parks, golf courses, and other large areas of land.
As you can see, our review didn’t cover any of these models as we understand that most of our readers are property owners owning medium-sized lawns, yards, and tiny estate property.
- 2. Electric Lawn Sweeper
When we speak of electric lawn sweepers, what we’re really referring to are the corded and the cordless variants. For the case of a corded sweeper, picking one with a motor output of between 8-Amps to 12-Amps will be ideal as it will be able to clean your lawn within a few passes.
On the other hand, if you’re eying for a cordless model, picking one from the two models we’ve discussed in our review section can be really great. The best thing about cordless models is the fact that they offer you some freedom to clean your yard without having to deal with messy cords.
On the other hand, corded models will not waste any of your time waiting for the batteries to get recharged.
- 3. Push Lawn Sweepers
Also known as manually-powered sweepers, these types of lawn sweepers depend on your effort to push them. They don’t have any mechanical or electrical parts nor do they rely on electric or gasoline boost to work. Although they’re a little bit inefficient when compared to powered lawn sweepers, their picking efficiency is at least 80% which is really great.
Since they don’t have any electrical or mechanical parts, these lawn sweepers are durable and less susceptible to damage. They’re also affordable and usually require less maintenance such as greasing the bearings.
- 4. Tow-Behind Lawn Sweepers
The last model you’ll come across when picking a lawn sweeper is this tow-behind variant. First, this model works the same as its push counterpart only that you need to drag it behind your tractor or ATV. For it to work, the wheels are attached to a gearbox that drives a cylinder that’s attached to the brushes.
This allows the brushes to rotate and pick as many leaves, pine needles, and other debris as possible.
Most lawn sweepers that fall in this category are large and are considered the best for cleaning large lawns, yards, and fields in large estates.
Benefits of Using a Lawn Sweeper
When planning to get the best pull behind the lawn sweeper, there are several questions you’re likely to ask yourself. One of those is how efficient the machine will be when using it rather than using a rake. So, if you’re wondering whether you’ll see your money’s worth, here are some top benefits of investing in a lawn sweeper over using a rake.
- It’s Efficient: One of the top benefits of using a lawn sweeper over a rake or a mower bagger is how efficient it gets in cleaning all sorts of debris. You see, in fall, all walkways, yards, lawns, and pathways are covered with fallen leaves, twigs, pine needles, and pine cones that ruin the beauty of nature. To get rid of all this litter at lightning-fast speed, the lawn sweeper is the best choice you’ve got.
- Saves You Time: If you’re cleaning a messy yard or garden lawn using a rake or a regular sweeper, it might take you close to 3 hours to accomplish the task. But, if you’re pulling or pushing a lawn sweeper, this task can take you just 30 minutes. This alone shows how fast a lawn sweeper is when cleaning your yard.
- Doesn’t Damage Your Grass: If you’re using a rake or a grass bagger, the blades of these two can easily damage your grass. But, if you’re using a lawn sweeper, the gentle softness of the brushes will never harm your grass when picking debris.
- Easy to Handle: The best thing about lawn sweepers is that they’re not complex machines. They’re easy to handle as you only need to push them around while they accomplish exactly what they’re designed to do. The only slight problem you might face is with the tow-behind variants which must be pulled by a tractor. But again, if you’re proficient enough, then this won’t be a problem.
How to Use a Lawn Sweeper Properly
Now, if you’re new to lawn sweepers, you need to know that these garden tools operate in a similar fashion as vacuum cleaners. Since they’re tasked to sweep your lawn using special brushes fitted underneath, you need to take special care to ensure the mechanism down there is not clogged or damaged.
If you’re wondering how then here are some special tips you might need to follow.
- Assembly: Before you even use your lawn sweeper, you need to ensure that it’s assembled correctly. This is one huge mistake most people make when using a lawn sweeper because they fail to assemble it correctly then end up posting negative feedback even when it’s their fault. So, professional assembly is key which must be done by a professional.
- Sweep Dry Lawn: Now, if you’re collecting grass, leaves, or any other debris from your lawn, always make sure it’s entirely dry. If you happen to mow the grass in the morning, you can leave it to dry up and sweep it in the evening. This is important as it will help to prevent clogging of the sweeper that can lead to costly repairs.
- Empty the Hopper More Often: To keep your lawn sweeper in good shape for long, you need to empty the debris that has been collected more often. This is one way of ensuring the hopper doesn’t get loose or damaged after a short while.
- Don’t Speed Up: Finally, the speed at which you push or pull your lawn sweeper can have a huge impact on its efficiency. So, to ensure that your machine is as efficient as possible, you need to maintain the right speed depending on the model of your sweeper.
Maintaining Tips of a Lawn Sweeper
Picking the right lawn sweeper is not enough. You need to be aware of the right maintenance tips to ensure that your machine enjoys a long working life. Now, some of the most critical maintenance tips you need to adhere to include;
- The general assembly. Although we’ve discussed this point just above, I will mention it again because it’s one of the reasons why most people complain even after being at fault. Professional assembly is really important as it allows your lawn sweeper to stay for long without demanding regular maintenance.
- Next, you need to read the instruction manual very carefully before using this garden tool. By understanding how its mechanics work, you’ll be able to predict when you’re pushing it beyond its capacity.
- Since it’s a moving machine, you’ll expect some parts to be overworked way more than others. Parts such as the wheels, the brushes, the chute, and the hopper are usually susceptible to wear and tear if they’re not checked regularly. Therefore, you need to check the time after time through regular servicing to ensure that they keep up without losing their efficiency.
- If you’re using your sweeper regularly, don’t forget to empty it often. Also, ensure that you clean and grease all the moving parts regularly to avoid clogging. Check all moving parts to ensure all bolts and nuts are tight at all times to prevent the parts from getting loose.
Top 13 Best Lawn Sweepers Reviews:
And since you’ve decided to add the lawn sweeper in your garden tools’ arsenal, one question that must be running through your mind is how you’re going to find the right lawn sweeper in a market where hundreds of thousands of new garden tools are released in each blink of an eye.
Thankfully, this guide has felt your pain and has gone ahead to list 13 of the best-selling lawn sweepers that will step up to any challenge thrown to them.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
What Type of Lawn Sweeper is the Best?
In the world of lawn sweepers, there’s nothing like the best yard sweeper. All of them are great and the difference melts down to what exactly you’re looking for. For instance, if you’re looking to sweep a small lawn, then a push lawn sweeper will be the best.
On the other hand, if you’re dealing with a large estate lawn or yard, then a tow behind variant with a large sweeping width will be the perfect option.
What’s a Motorized Lawn Sweeper?
In our previous sections, we discussed manual and powered sweepers. Manual sweepers rely on a manual gearbox that rotates the brushes following the rotation of the wheels. But, when it comes to motorized sweepers, these ones are either gas or electric powered where a motor or a strong engine is powered to perform the sweeping action for you while you push it.
Can I use a Lawn Sweeper When Mowing?
Most homeowners have asked this question. Now, the simple answer is yes. Provided your mower doesn’t have a collection bag, then you can use a sweeper to collect the debris. However, it’s advisable that you collect the debris first before you start mowing.
Otherwise, it would be best if you could leave the wet grass to dry up first before you can sweep it in the evening to prevent clogging the lawn sweeper’s brushes.
What’s Wheel to Brush Ratio?
During our review, we mentioned something to do with the brush-to-wheel ratio. What it means actually is the number of rotations a brush can make in one turn of the wheel. In most cases, choosing a sweeper with a high brush to wheel ratio is great as it means the brush will rotate much faster to pick up more debris with just a few rotations on the wheel.
As you can see, a lawn sweeper looks like basic equipment. However, the amount of work this garden tool can accomplish is one that can never be underestimated. As you’ve just seen in our review and our buyer’s guide sections, lawn sweepers come in different variations to meet your every need depending on how small or how large your yard is.
Since picking the best lawn sweeper from a forest full of similar products is quite overwhelming, this guide has done all the research for you by reviewing 13 of the best-selling sweepers and further adding a buyer’s guide section containing everything you need to know when picking the right garden tool.